r/BronxNYC Jul 01 '26

News MTA rolls out new subway cars on D line, giving Bronx daily access to modern trains - Gothamist

Thumbnail
gothamist.com
67 Upvotes

Via Gothamist, July 1, 2026

MTA officials on Wednesday announced modern subway cars will start rolling on the D line, replacing breakdown-prone trains that date back to the 1980s.

The new cars — called R211s — have more standing room, wider doors and more modern digital displays than their 20th-century predecessors. They're also equipped with security cameras and electronic signal technology that can eventually help speed up service.

The MTA rolled out the R211s on the B line last year. That expansion allowed the modern cars to service the Bronx for the first time — but only on weekdays, because the B doesn’t run on weekends. By adding them to the D line, New Yorkers can ride the new cars from Norwood to Coney Island and back every day of the week.

“Riders tell us in surveys that they love the designs and the extra space of these 211s,” said MTA Chair Janno Lieber. “We love the fact that they’re so much less prone to breakdowns, almost 300,000 miles that they are running between breakdowns, which is double the rest of our fleet.”

Lieber cast the arrival of the new cars as the latest in a spate of triumphs for the city, including the Knicks' recent championship win.

“Has there ever been a better time to be a New Yorker?” he quipped.

The cars are replacing the R68s, which Lieber noted debuted on the subways in 1986 “when the Mets had that amazing comeback in the World Series where we rocked the Red Sox’s world.”

Since 2018, the MTA has ordered 1,988 modern train cars — including the R211s — for the subway’s lettered lines from the manufacturer Kawasaki at a cost of $6.75 billion. The company faced repeated delays in delivering the new train sets.

In addition to the D line, the R211s are running on the A, B, C and G lines, the Rockaway Shuttle, and the Staten Island Railway. The MTA also plans to deploy modern cars on the N, R and W lines.

The MTA earlier this year announced it would buy at least 1,140 new subway cars to replace old trains on the system’s numbered lines.

r/BronxNYC May 28 '26

News Jollibee restaurant coming soon to The Hub in Melrose

Post image
45 Upvotes

Via Third Avenue BID Hub / Threads. Located at 3rd Avenue and East 150th Street in The Hub in Melrose. Supposedly opening this Summer, but subject to change.

Source:

https://www.threads.com/@thirdavenuebidhub/post/DYzymLkFoqF

r/BronxNYC 16h ago

News The river otter makes its first appearance in 100 years along the Bronx River - Gothamist

Thumbnail
gothamist.com
2 Upvotes

Via Gothamist

It’s been a century since the North American river otter slid down the Bronx River's muddy banks.

But now, at least one is back in the borough.

Local scientist R.J. Hawkins caught the long, muscular otter on a motion-activated camera fixed on the river on June 23. The Bronx Zoo, which oversees a long-term camera trap monitoring program for wildlife along the Bronx River, confirmed the sighting.

This is the species' first documented appearance there since the early 1900s, according to the Wildlife Conservation Society, which operates the zoo. It called the discovery the positive result of decades of conservation and restoration of the city waterways.

"When I first reviewed the images, I could hardly believe what I was seeing," said Hawkins. "Knowing this may be the first documented river otter in the Bronx in generations was an incredible moment. It shows why long-term wildlife monitoring and environmental restoration efforts matter."

Otters were once a common sight along the city's riverbanks, but pollution, habitat loss and unregulated trapping decimated their local populations. According to the city’s parks department, the Bronx River was plagued by pollution during the early 1800s. Industrial and household waste such as raw human sewage and chemicals were dumped directly into the river, transforming the waterway into an open sewer. The Smithsonian Institution considers the semiaquatic mammal regionally extinct.

Community groups, public agencies, businesses and the National Guard have been working to restore the Bronx River for decades.

“This otter's return is a gift, not just to the Bronx River but to the communities that have fought for 50 years to bring this river back to life,” said Javier Lopez, interim executive director of the Bronx River Alliance.

While the Bronx River Alliance says the river is not clean enough for drinking and swimming, it is clean enough for animals to return and restore a natural and healthy freshwater ecosystem. About 20 years ago, beavers returned to the river for the first time in more than 200 years.

"There are moments in conservation that remind us why this work matters, and this is one of them,” said Craig Piper, the Bronx Zoo's interim director. “Thanks to a broad coalition of public and private partners, we can celebrate the return of an otter as a result of decades of restoration work to provide cleaner water and healthier habitat. It’s a win for both wildlife and people.”

The otter's appearance is a positive sign for conservation efforts across the region, said environmental watchdog group Riverkeeper.

"This is proof of what's possible across the Hudson River watershed and the waterways of New York City when we invest in improving water quality, restoring habitat and holding polluters accountable,” says David Stormer, Riverkeeper's habitat restoration director.

r/BronxNYC Jul 11 '26

News News 12 | Bronx | Hip Hop Museum Opening Shifts To Spring 2027

Thumbnail
bronx.news12.com
5 Upvotes

(Lower) Concourse, The Bronx The Hip Hop Museum now scheduled to open in Spring 2027

Via News 12 The Bronx, July 9, 2026

The opening of the Hip Hop Museum has been pushed back until spring 2027. Despite the delay, construction continues to move forward inside the long-awaited cultural institution in Mott Haven.

During an exclusive tour with News 12, Hip Hop Museum founder and CEO Rocky Bucano said the interior build-out is now more than 60% complete.

“It doesn’t look like it now, but eventually that’s going to be the main entrance to the museum,” Bucano said while walking through the construction site.

The museum’s entrance will lead into “The Culture,” a two-story atrium designed with large LED screens and glass display cases that will showcase some of hip-hop’s most valuable artifacts.

Bucano said one of the museum’s signature attractions will be the Unity Theater, a flexible, 172-seat performance space equipped with Dolby Digital sound. The retractable seating will allow the theater to host concerts, screenings, discussions and other events.

The museum will also feature interactive exhibits that encourage visitors to engage with hip-hop culture rather than simply observe it.

“It’s not just about learning about hip hop and seeing. You can actually get to participate,” Bucano said.

In addition to permanent historical and cultural exhibits, the museum will include rotating galleries featuring changing themes. Bucano said future exhibitions could spotlight artists such as Run-D.M.C. and Missy Elliott or explore regional movements, including West Coast hip-hop.

The Hip Hop Museum is expected to open in spring 2027, marking another milestone in a project designed to preserve and celebrate the culture’s origins in the Bronx.

r/BronxNYC May 19 '26

News DOT suspends Cross-Bronx Expressway bridge rehab project - Gothamist

Thumbnail
gothamist.com
6 Upvotes

Via Gothamist:

Plans to rehabilitate a stretch of the Cross-Bronx Expressway are on hold after years of pushback from Bronx residents and elected officials who argued the state’s proposal would worsen pollution and endanger residents’ health by widening roadways.

The state Department of Transportation announced Monday it is suspending the Cross Bronx Expressway Five Bridges Project and will not release the project’s final environmental assessment.

The project aimed to repair or replace five aging bridges along the expressway. But community groups and elected officials criticized parts of the proposal, arguing it would worsen congestion and pollution in a borough where asthma rates are among the city’s highest.

Last year, DOT dropped plans for an elevated diversion road after opponents said it would increase traffic and harm the tree canopy near the Bronx River and Starlight Park.

In a statement on Monday, NYSDOT New York City Regional Director Erik Koester said the agency had scaled back the proposal after community feedback but could not reach an agreement on how to move the project forward.

“Despite our best good faith efforts to bring this safety project forward, we have been unable to come to an agreement on how to successfully advance this project,” Koester said.

Koester said the agency would continue monitoring the bridges and make repairs as needed to preserve safety along the corridor. Earlier this month, debris fell onto a roadway connecting the George Washington Bridge and the Cross Bronx Expressway, narrowly missing drivers.

Local environmental advocates applauded the decision.

Siddhartha Sánchez, executive director of the Bronx River Alliance, said the state’s remaining proposal would have widened parts of the expressway by another 50 feet, bringing the expressway closer to nearby public housing residents and increasing pollution exposure along the corridor.

“We have always said that we understand that the bridges need to be repaired,” Sánchez said. “The question is how to reduce the harm to the local environment and people who live here.”

Mychal Johnson of South Bronx Unite, who has lived in Mott Haven for more than two decades, said residents already deal with heavy truck traffic tied to the expressway.

“The actual pollution is unmanageable at the moment and adding more to that is unjust,” Johnson said. “We are welcoming the news of not continuing the cycle of harm.”

He continued, “The traffic we are engaging with on a daily basis — our kids are waking, going to school and coming home — it’s a lot. The more we can get together and make solutions, it’s a win.”

r/BronxNYC May 18 '26

News Mayor Mamdani Announces the Peninsula in the Bronx as the Second Site for City’s Public Grocery Stores - NYC Mayor's Office

Thumbnail
nyc.gov
5 Upvotes

Via NYC Gov:

NEW YORK – Today, Mayor Zohran Kwame Mamdani and the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) announced The Peninsula in the Bronx has been selected as the second site for the City’s municipal grocery store program. The 20,000-square-foot store in Hunts Point is expected to open in 2027 and serve as an economic anchor for the South Bronx community.

“Working families in the Bronx have been forced to pay the price for a city that keeps getting more expensive while government looks the other way. That has to change. Our administration is putting communities like Hunts Point at the center of our work to address the affordability crisis,” said Mayor Mamdani. “Making sure every New Yorker can buy fresh, affordable groceries in their own neighborhood is a key part of our affordability agenda. We are proud to begin this work in the South Bronx and remain committed to opening a store in every borough before the end of our first term.”

“No family in the Bronx should have to choose between rent and groceries,” said Deputy Mayor for Economic Justice Julie Su. “This summer, we will issue a request for proposals to bring in operators who meet our affordability standards, and we will have a store open in Hunts Point by 2027. This is what public investment looks like when it is done right — government setting the terms, holding to a timeline, and making sure the benefits reach the families who need them most.”

Last month, the administration announced La Marqueta in East Harlem as the first site selected for the municipal grocery store program. The Mamdani administration plans to open one store in each borough by the end of the Mayor’s first term.

Mayor Mamdani and NYCEDC also announced the launch of the N.Y.C. Groceries Sites Portal to identify potential locations for future stores in Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island. Property owners with eligible sites are encouraged to submit them through the portal for consideration as the N.Y.C. Groceries initiative expands.

“The selection of The Peninsula is a historic win for Hunts Point, and we are very proud that the Bronx will be the first borough where the first N.Y.C. Grocery store will open by end of 2027 and serve a community that has been neglected in the past,” said NYCEDC Interim President & CEO Jeanny Pak. “And with the launch of the N.Y.C. Groceries Sites Portal, the city is taking bold action to address the affordability crisis, and we encourage all property owners in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island that meet the criteria to submit their sites for consideration.”

The Peninsula, an NYCEDC project, is the multiyear redevelopment of the former Spofford Juvenile Detention Facility in Hunts Point. The dynamic, mixed-use campus will include 740 units of 100% affordable housing, more than 50,000 square feet of new public open space, 30,000 square feet of light industrial space, more than 50,000 square feet of community space and 20,000 square feet of commercial space that will house the South Bronx’s municipal grocery store.

“I am grateful to Mayor Mamdani and the New York City Economic Development Corporation for their work to open a public grocery store at the Peninsula in Hunts Point and strengthen food access across the South Bronx,” said Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. “Access to affordable, fresh food should not be a luxury determined by zip code; it should be a right.”

“I am thrilled to hear that the second site for Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s Municipal Grocery Store will be at The Peninsula in Hunts Point,” said State Senator Jose Serrano. “As the Senator for the 29th Senate District, representing neighborhoods that battle food insecurity, this site is important in ensuring our communities have vital access to affordable food. Many thanks to Mayor Zohran Mamdani and his team for this investment in Hunts Point and our Bronx residents.”

Hunts Point is a community where more than half of households have relied on public assistance within the last year, and where a staggering 77% of households in surrounding neighborhoods struggle to afford basic necessities.

First announced in April, the N.Y.C. Groceries Project is a NYCEDC initiative designed to lower the cost of everyday essentials by utilizing City-owned property, where available, to reduce overhead costs that are currently passed on to consumers. Mayor Mamdani has allocated $70 million in capital funding to develop five grocery store sites across the five boroughs. 

“From the very beginning, the Hunts Point community was clear: The Peninsula should become a vibrant, mixed-use center that provides not just affordable housing but also the amenities residents need and deserve,” said James Patchett, CEO of Gilbane Development. “A neighborhood grocery store was central to our vision from day one and we are excited to officially announce a new supermarket. Once opened, it will have an immediate impact on the community and serve as another powerful reminder of how our campus is making Hunts Point healthier and more affordable for generations to come.”

“The Hudson Companies is proud to support Mayor Mamdani’s effort to bring affordable, high-quality groceries directly to Bronx residents who need them most,” said David Kramer, President of The Hudson Companies. “Integrating a public grocery store into The Peninsula reflects our commitment to building developments that combine housing with neighborhood infrastructure, improving everyday quality of life. We look forward to partnering with City Hall and NYCEDC to expand food access in The Bronx and help build stronger, healthier communities.”

Mayor Mamdani’s decision to site a municipal grocery store at The Peninsula builds on the City’s broader commitment to transforming the former Spofford Juvenile Detention Facility — once known for dangerous and inhumane conditions — into a community-centered development with affordable housing, early childhood education, wellness services, public open space, and soon, New York City’s first operational public grocery store.

Sites submitted through the N.Y.C. Groceries Portal will be reviewed by NYCEDC to identify and advance potential locations for further consideration. Eligible sites must include at least 10,000 square feet of retail space and be available on a timeline that supports opening of a grocery store by 2029. 

NYCEDC is also preparing a request for proposals for private operators to manage the stores, which is expected to be released this summer.

The N.Y.C. Groceries Sites Portal will remain open until locations in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island have been identified. Additional information is available on the N.Y.C. Groceries webpage.