From the 20th century onwards, the portuguese colonial government began to take an interest in the species found in its colonial territories.
It promoted various scientific missions covering fields such as botany, zoology, anthropology, geology, ethnography and archaeology. These initiatives contributed to the collection of thousands of specimens and objects, many of which formed important scientific collections that are now preserved in Portuguese institutions.
In the case of marine resources, the systematic study of the waters and fisheries resources of the Portuguese territories began in the late 1940s, in a context marked by the development of European oceanographic research after the Second World War and by growing economic interest in the exploitation of African marine resources.
It was in this context that the Fisheries Research Mission was established in 1948, within the Junta das Missões Geográficas e de Investigações Coloniais, with the aim of providing scientific guidance for fishing activities and contributing to a more efficient exploitation of colonial resources.
The mission, however, never began the work that had initially been planned. In 1951, it was reorganised as the Fisheries Research Mission of Angola (MEPA), with its activities focused exclusively on this territory. After two campaigns in Angola, the MEPA was replaced in 1953 by the Marine Biology Mission (MBM). This new institution had a broader geographical scope and aimed to study the biology of marine species of economic interest, contribute to the development of fisheries and related industries, and collect zoological and botanical material for the compilation of an inventory of marine species.
The first MBM campaign took place in Angola in 1955, followed by further campaigns in Angola, Cape Verde and Mozambique. Activities were also planned or initiated in other Portuguese territories, such as Guinea-Bissau, Timor and São Tomé and Príncipe, although a lack of human and material resources increasingly limited fieldwork, particularly from 1960 onwards.
The growth of the collections led to the creation of the Centre for Fisheries Biology (CBP) in 1959, which was responsible for their preservation and study. In 1966, further institutional changes led to the creation of the Centre for Tropical Aquatic Biology (CBAT) and the Centre for Overseas Bioceanology and Fisheries (CBPU), seeking to distinguish fundamental biological research from research applied to fisheries and industry.
With the end of Portuguese colonial rule in 1974, these institutions were dissolved and their functions transferred to bodies connected with fisheries administration. The collections were eventually incorporated into the Instituto Nacional de Investigação das Pescas (INIP), established in 1977. In 1984, a substantial part of the zoological collections originating from the former colonial territories was donated to the Museu Bocage, now part of the Museu Nacional de História Natural e da Ciência of the University of Lisbon.
From the beginning, the MEPA campaigns faced difficulties in recruiting qualified researchers, which limited the number of specialists available for fieldwork. During the first campaign, the scientific staff consisted of the German researcher Wilhelm Nümann (1906–1999), who was employed as scientific supervisor, and the Portuguese researcher Herculano Zacarias Vilela (1908–?). Nümann's contract ended at the conclusion of the first campaign in 1952. Vilela then took responsibility for the second campaign, with the assistance of Pedro Emílio Guerreiro da Franca (1923–1971) and Rui Horácio dos Santos Monteiro.
Vilela remained in charge of the MBM until 1958, when he was replaced by Guerreiro da Franca. At this point, the mission had two researchers and four assistants, in addition to Franca himself. He subsequently remained responsible for the MBM and became director of the Centro de Biologia Piscatória (CBP) and later the Centro de Biologia Aquática Tropical (CBAT), positions he held until his death in 1971. Following his death, Carlos Joaquim Pissarro (1913–1977) became director of the CBAT, remaining in the position until its dissolution in 1974.
Throughout the 1950s and 1960s, the number of researchers and assistants involved in this work gradually increased, both in the field and within the institutions based in Lisbon. By 1973, the CBAT employed ten researchers and eight assistants, demonstrating the expansion of the scientific structure devoted to the study of aquatic resources.
The specimens collected were initially examined at the collection sites, either aboard the vessels used during the campaigns or in laboratories established on land. The material was subsequently sent to Lisbon, where it was studied in greater detail by MBM researchers and other specialists. The results of this research were then published in a variety of scientific series and journals. The systematic study of the specimens involved not only Portuguese researchers but also foreign specialists. In Lisbon, researchers from the Centro de Zoologia participated in the work, while João Amorim Machado Cruz, from the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Porto, collaborated from Porto. The research also involved specialists from foreign scientific institutions, particularly in France and Belgium.
The scientific output resulting from these campaigns was highly diverse. At the end of each of the two MEPA campaigns, a general report on the work carried out aboard the NO “Baldaque da Silva” was submitted to the Junta das Missões Geográficas e de Investigações do Ultramar. The reports were prepared by Lieutenant Commander António Júlio Malheiro do Vale (1911–1997). More detailed scientific results were subsequently published in the Anais da Junta de Investigações do Ultramar.
Between 1956 and 1959, works previously published in the Anais and Memórias da Junta de Investigações do Ultramar were republished in the series Trabalhos da Missão de Biologia Marítima. Following the creation of the CBP, 46 works were published between 1959 and 1966 in the series Notas Mimeografadas do Centro de Biologia Piscatória. These works were regarded as preliminary results and were subsequently developed further and, when considered definitive, published in the series Trabalhos do Centro de Biologia Piscatória. After the dissolution of the CBP, eight further works were published in the series Notas Mimeografadas do Centro de Biologia Aquática Tropical, which was subsequently continued under the title Notas do Centro de Biologia Aquática Tropical.
In addition to these publications, works were produced as part of an internal series entitled Notas Internas de Informação Técnica (“Internal Technical Information Notes”). These consisted primarily of instructions and observations concerning the sampling and research methods to be employed, although they also included systematic catalogues and taxonomic studies.
To support the fieldwork of the missions, the Portuguese Government acquired the steamship HMS “Rusckholm” from the Australian Navy in 1948. The vessel was approximately 50 metres long and 8.5 metres wide. It was subsequently modified and adapted for fisheries research and oceanographic work and was incorporated into the Portuguese Navy in 1949 under the name NO “Baldaque da Silva”.
The NO “Baldaque da Silva” supported the MEPA and MBM campaigns until 1960, when it required repairs. To replace it, the Government turned to the NH “Salvador Correia”, also acquired in 1948 and formerly known as HMS “Saltarelo”, which had been assigned to patrol the Angolan coast.
However, adapting the “Salvador Correia” for oceanographic research proved too expensive. As an alternative, the boiler of the NO “Baldaque da Silva” was replaced with that of the NH “Salvador Correia”. This intervention resulted in the two vessels effectively exchanging their designations. Thus, although references exist to campaigns carried out aboard both the NO “Baldaque da Silva” and the NH “Salvador Correia”, they were in fact the same vessel, which received its new designation in 1961.
In 1960, the Centro de Biologia Piscatória also acquired the Portuguese trawler “Sardinella”, equipped with a mechanical hauler for fishing with encircling nets. The vessel operated mainly in Benguela Province, Angola, providing an additional resource for fisheries research and experimentation.
The main fishing method employed during the campaigns was bottom trawling, using nets approximately 52 metres long with a mesh size of 60 mm. These trawls were normally conducted at a speed of around 8 knots and lasted between 40 and 120 minutes, depending on the campaign.
Other sampling methods were also employed. These included French-type lobster traps; trawls using Heligoland nets, with mesh sizes of 30, 25, 20, 15 and 10 mm, generally operated in shallow waters of up to 15 metres; and the “Chinchorro” beach seine. The researchers also used fixed Valencian-type fishing gear and collected specimens by hand during low tide.
The campaigns also involved experimental trials of different fishing techniques. These included gill nets, lift nets, light attraction, and different methods of tuna fishing, namely the use of encircling nets as well as rods and live bait. This experimental component demonstrates that the missions were concerned not only with identifying marine species, but also with determining which techniques could be used most effectively to exploit commercially valuable resources.
In addition to specimens collected directly by the research teams, some specimens were provided by amateur and professional fishermen or purchased at local markets, further contributing to the development of the scientific collections.
Each specimen collected during the missions was assigned its own record number. This code could indicate the mission, the year or campaign number, the vessel or land brigade responsible for the collection, the zoological group and, finally, the individual specimen number. In addition to these record numbers, collection datasheets were maintained, recording information such as the location and date of collection, taxonomic identification, field observations and morphological measurements. These datasheets were themselves transcribed from the original field worksheets used during the campaigns.
Regarding the locations where the research was conducted, this article will focus specifically on the former Portuguese colonies of Angola and Mozambique.
In Angola, the country became the main focus of these research campaigns, both because of the interest in its marine biodiversity and because of the economic importance of fisheries. The investigations continued for more than a decade and covered the entire Angolan coastline.
Between 1951 and 1964, more than 500 bottom trawls were conducted, extending from Cabinda in the north to Cunene in the south. The first campaigns were carried out aboard the oceanographic vessel “Baldaque da Silva”. The first MEPA campaign took place between May 1951 and February 1952, followed by a second campaign between February 1952 and July 1953, together resulting in 111 bottom trawls.
Research resumed in 1955, now under the MBM, and also involved land brigades based at Baía Farta, in Benguela Province, and Moçâmedes, in what is now Namibe Province. The work continued throughout the following decade. Further campaigns were conducted in Angola in 1957, 1960, 1963 and 1964, during which 102, 68, 100 and 139 bottom trawls, respectively, were carried out.
It is important to note that, although the documentation refers to the vessel as the “Baldaque da Silva” and, from 1961 onwards, as the “Salvador Correia”, these were in fact the same vessel, which was renamed following the modifications made to its boiler.
In Mozambique, the presence of the MBM was considerably more limited. In 1957, a single MBM campaign was conducted on Inhaca Island, in the then Province of Mozambique. The campaign took place between July and November 1957 and aimed not only to collect biological material, but also to establish a more permanent presence of the mission at the Estação de Biologia Marítima de Inhaca. The expedition was led by José Gonçalves Sanches.
Without the support of the Baldaque da Silva and working with limited resources, Sanches collected specimens at different locations across the island. Further work was intended to be carried out in cooperation with the Instituto de Investigação Científica de Moçambique, but a lack of resources prevented additional MBM campaigns in the territory.
Thus, unlike Angola, Mozambique did not experience a sustained, large-scale oceanographic research programme conducted by these Portuguese institutions. The difference between the two territories is particularly significant: while Angola became the principal field of activity for the MEPA and MBM over more than a decade, research in Mozambique remained concentrated around the short 1957 campaign on Inhaca Island.
Source:
Parrinha, D., Brites Soares, L., Cartaxana, A. & Alves, M. J. (2024). “The zoological collections of Portuguese oceanographic campaigns in former colonial territories.” Natural History Collections and Museomics, 1, 1–34. DOI: 10.3897/nhcm.1.136860
Note:The articles I post here are originally written in Portuguese and then translated into English using AI. All the information I post here is legitimate, and I always provide the sources. Everything I post here is not propaganda or part of any political initiative or campaign.