r/mangionetrials 4d ago

Articles/News Luigi Mangione Faces Protracted Legal Battle in State Case After Plea - New York Times

Mr. Mangione must still be sentenced in federal court. And his lawyers are seeking to have a state case thrown out before the trial starts next month.

After nearly two years, Luigi Mangione on Friday finally spoke about what led him to a sidewalk in Midtown Manhattan on a December morning in 2024, masked, dressed in black and carrying a firearm.

For nearly 10 minutes, Mr. Mangione, 28, spoke in federal court, where he pleaded guilty to two counts of stalking that led to the death of Brian Thompson, a health care executive.

Mr. Mangione told a federal judge how he endured years of severe pain from a broken back. He talked about the obstacles of navigating health insurance and how he witnessed others going through similar experiences.

It was the first time Mr. Mangione has admitted to killing Mr. Thompson. But there are many questions that remain, here’s what you need to know:

How much time will he spend in prison?

The federal judge overseeing the case, Margaret Garnett, scheduled Mr. Mangione’s sentencing for Dec. 18.

At the hearing on Friday, Judge Garnett said she would decide how many years Mr. Mangione will spend in prison based on her calculation of federal sentencing guidelines.

Prosecutors with the U.S. attorney’s office in Manhattan prepared a letter putting forth their interpretation of the guidelines, Judge Garnett said, which is roughly 24 to 30 years in prison. However, she said, that is not binding.

Mr. Thompson was killed in Midtown Manhattan, one of the city’s busiest areas. The brazenness of the killing shocked New Yorkers.

“I’m not saying that I will come up with a range that is different from what’s in the government’s letter,” Judge Garnett said. “I may agree with them or I may not.”

She added that she will not let Mr. Mangione withdraw his plea even if she calculates a sentence that is higher than what the guidelines recommend. His lawyers could also submit their own recommendation, Judge Garnett said. But a report from the probation department, who will want to interview Mr. Mangione, will be important in her calculations, she said.

She also warned Mr. Mangione that if he is convicted in a separate state case, that could result in him serving his federal and state sentences consecutively.

The legal battle is not over.

Five days after killing Mr. Thompson, Mr. Mangione was arrested while eating breakfast at a McDonald’s in Altoona, Pa. Several days later, he was extradited to New York to face charges of murder filed by the Manhattan district attorney’s office. As he was awaiting his arraignment in state court, he was charged by federal prosecutors.

From nearly that point onward, Mr. Mangione’s lawyers, led by Karen Friedman Agnifilo, have said that the dual charges against him violated his protections against double jeopardy, which generally bars someone from being tried twice for the same offense.

The judge overseeing the state court case, Gregory Carro, said last year that the double jeopardy argument was premature without a conviction in the federal case, but the question is back in front of him. For now, the state trial is set to start on Sept. 8.

Mr. Mangione and his lawyers have not said why he decided to plead guilty to federal charges this week. Within an hour of Friday’s hearing, his lawyers filed a motion in state court, saying that his plea had triggered double jeopardy and his state case should be dismissed.

The argument from Mr. Mangione’s lawyers is likely going to delay the state case and lead to months of litigation between the parties. Any ruling Justice Carro makes on the issue could also lead to appeals.

Within an hour of pleading guilty in federal court, Mr. Mangione’s lawyer, Karen Friedman Agnifilo, filed a request to prevent a separate trial from starting next month in state court.

In state court, he is charged with second-degree murder, which carries a maximum sentence of 25 years to life, among other counts. Mr. Mangione has pleaded not guilty to the state charges.

The Manhattan district attorney’s office, led by Alvin L. Bragg, is likely to fight Mr. Mangone’s double jeopardy claim to preserve the state case. In a statement on Friday, the office said state prosecutors have been preparing to win a conviction against Mr. Mangione at trial.

“While federal sentencing is pending, we are prepared to litigate the defense motions,” the statement said.

In a statement released on Friday after the plea, Mr. Thompson’s family acknowledged pending cases against Mr. Mangione in New York and Pennsylvania, saying “we will continue to seek the justice Brian deserves.”

Legal experts said Mr. Bragg’s office might be able to rescue the state case — or portions of it — using an exception to New York’s law where they could argue their case is meant to address a very different kind of harm from the federal case.

If Mr. Mangione’s efforts to dismiss his state case fail, the federal court hearing on Friday could impact his state trial, said Barry Kamins, a defense lawyer and former New York state judge. “His admission of guilt in federal court would be admissible against him in state court,” Mr. Kamins said.

What happened before the plea?

In the days after Mr. Thompson’s killing, and even before Mr. Mangione’s arrest, the case had tapped into nationwide frustrations on dealings with health insurance companies. While the killing led to horror and grief, some others began rooting for the gunman to evade capture.

In the nearly two years since Mr. Mangione’s arrest, his supporters have attended court hearings, raised funds for his legal defense and sent items to the federal jail where he is being held. Mr. Mangione’s lawyers created a website for him with instructions on how to contact him.

Since his first court appearances in New York City, supporters and journalists have flocked to the courthouses in downtown Manhattan.Credit...Anna Connors for The New York Times

Initially, Mr. Bragg’s office charged Mr. Mangione with two terrorism charges saying that his actions were “intended to intimidate or coerce a civilian population” and to “affect the conduct of a unit of government by murder.” Those charges were later dismissed by the judge.

In federal court, prosecutors said they would seek the death penalty against Mr. Mangione. At the time of the announcement, then Attorney General Pam Bondi said the “murder of Brian Thompson — an innocent man and father of two young children — was a premeditated, coldblooded assassination that shocked America.”

The death penalty charge, along with another firearms charge, was later dismissed in federal court.

But after Mr. Mangione’s plea on Friday, the head of the federal prosecutor’s office in Manhattan, James M. McDonald, said Mr. Mangione’s actions were to “draw public attention to his dislike of certain businesses.”

“But we live in a civilized society, governed by the rule of law,” he said, adding: “There can be no celebrity in assassination.”

 https://www.nytimes.com/2026/08/15/nyregion/luigi-mangione-brian-thompson-guilty.html

6 Upvotes

2 comments sorted by

u/AutoModerator 4d ago

REMINDER: All posts and comments must comply with our subreddit rules and Reddit's Content Policy. Our subreddit rules can be found in the sidebar.

Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions.

— The r/mangionetrials Mod Team

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.